Knee replacement is a surgical procedure that replaces a damaged knee with artificial parts.
This damage is usually a result of arthritis .
Knee Replacement involves cutting a small amount of bone from the bottom of the femur (thigh bone) and the top of the tibia (shin bone) and replacing these areas with metal. Similarly a small portion of the patella (knee cap) is cut and a piece of plastic is fixed to the bone. Once all the parts are cemented to the bone a piece of plastic is placed in between the metal to create a new joint.
- Patients are in the hospital for 1-2 days
- Patients use a cane for 4 weeks
- Once fully recovered, patients can resume most daily as well as many extracurricular activities
- Most patients can expect excellent pain relief with full restoration of function
- Knee replacements can last greater than 20 years in most patients
Our doctors use the latest minimally invasive techniques for knee replacement. This allows the patients to resume their normal daily activities much quicker.