Careful planning is required before surgery to closely fit the implant to the patient. The above picture shows a template being placed over an X-ray to measure the necessary size for the patient.
The implants are made of Titanium or Cobalt Chromium. The metal can be fixed to the bone with either bone cement or a special implant is used which allows the bone to grow into it. Patients should discuss these options with their doctor.
- Patients are in the hospital for 2 days
- Patients use a cane or a walker for 4 weeks
- Once fully recovered, patients can resume most daily as well as many extracurricular activities
- Patients with hip replacements need to follow certain precautions to prevent their hip from dislocating
- Most patients can expect excellent pain relief with restoration of function
- Hip replacements can last 15-20 years in most patients
Why have a hip replacement?
How long do they last?
Find the answers to these and many more questions on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Spefically created for our patients considering joint replacement